Uta Hagen: The Big Change





The theatre changed, and no one really knows what the big change was. I think there were several. It got too expensive, so people didn’t rely on it for ideas or inspiration or entertainment as readily. People had so many more choices–television and film and computer games and God knows what else. Maybe the theatre didn’t change enough or fast enough to maintain their interest. I don’t know. What I do know is that it is almost entirely entertainment, fluff, nonsense now for tourists and lazy gift-givers, who think some leggy girls and some glitter will be enough. Maybe people don’t want to be challenged anymore. That’s possible. People want to stay fixed in their dreams. I don’t know how it happened. I only know it did happen, and the theatre is terribly boring and pretty unimportant, and this has to change.



© 2016  James Grissom

Comments

Popular Posts