Marlon Brando and the Dance of Truman Capote




Interview with Marlon Brando
Conducted by James Grissom
By Telephone
1990


I wasn't angry so much as bewildered. Confused. He danced differently in front of me than he did behind his pen. He was a skillful Janus, a mesmerizer, an actor. A liar, really. But I believed him: I believed the performance. He needed to communicate, and all he could control were words, which he tickled and altered and moved to create a world he wanted. He was someone, like me, who could not face reality, so he crafted a world in which he could live. We all do this, and we all have victims and captives and acolytes on the journey. We're all crafting the world we need. I briefly played a role in his.--Marlon Brando on Truman Capote and The New Yorker profile he wrote entitled "The Duke in His Domain."


© 2014  James Grissom

Comments

Popular Posts