Katharine Hepburn: On Isolation

Katharine Hepburn on the set of the Dick Cavett program.



Interview with Katharine Hepburn
Conducted by James Grissom
New York City
1990


I'm a firm believer in isolation. I think you just have to get away from things--including yourself--every once in a while. To think clearly; to see things properly. Sometimes we just don't operate properly, you know. We get stupid or fuzzy or weak, and it's time to lie down or get away from everyone and work it out.

I think it's impossible to be around other people all the time. You can't think; you can't get it together. So go away. Enjoy the quiet. I believe in an inner voice or a quiet voice that balances you. I believe in perspective, and you can get it from friends--you can even get it from enemies--but you get it best when you're alone.

I like isolation. Especially with idiots. Nothing defeats an idiot and his ways like isolation. Shut him down. Cut off the air supply. I no longer give attention to anything I don't care for or need or enjoy. Shut it down. Never defend yourself against an idiot. Let the last idiotic word be theirs. Isolation: One of the greatest things.


© 2014  James Grissom

Comments

Popular Posts