Vivien Leigh: So Many Unsafe Places



Interview with Tennessee Williams
Conducted by James Grissom
1982


Beauty is, of course, its only reward, and Vivien's beauty was so extraordinary, so heartbreaking, so fragile. When she was most demanding and intractable, she could look at me in such a way that I would respond as I do to photographs of children in war: I grew terribly protective. I came to see that she apologized in person, with kindness and through her beauty, and also through her work. It was impossible to remain angry with Vivien when I saw her work, when I saw how gently she carried Blanche to so many unsafe places.


© 2014 James Grissom

Comments

  1. I so love this blog---takes me back to my wonder years when my mom would chat about these stars as if she knew them.....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. The moderators will try to respond to you within 24 hours.

Popular Posts