Dennis Hopper: Attracted To Risk




Interview with Dennis Hopper
Conducted by James Grissom



It was never easy--I'm not saying that. But I remember that all of us--young and ambitious and often dumb and often abrupt--felt we could try almost anything. We would study and talk and be given a chance to fail. There seemed always to be another chance to do something, and you were encouraged to go another way: direct; paint; take pictures; dance; write something; then go back and be a different actor. I feel like now they just shit on everything right away and tell tell everybody to go off and make something of yourself and then we'll call you. And this kills not only the spirit of artists, but the art itself

You can't turn people and their skills into nothing but profit centers, and I think more risks were taken when I started. We have to be attracted to risk again.


© 2014 James Grissom

Comments

Popular Posts